Pre-Human Development

The Human Development major is not a capped major; however there are admissions requirements (for a full list of admissions requirements see below). Prospective students interested in the Human Development major should first declare Pre-Human Development while completing the admissions requirements. This ensures that the correct information is shown on students degree audits and that students are included on all announcements and correspondence concerning Human Development. Declaring Pre-Human Development also satisfies the university requirement that students declare a major by 90 units. Once all admissions requirements are met, students can then declare the Human Development major.

Please keep in mind that there are different admissions requirements for the Bachelor of Arts (BA) and the Bachelor of Science (BS). For more information about the Bachelor of Arts (BA) and the Bachelor of Science (BS) see below. Specific requirements for the Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS) can be found on the BA Requirements page and the BS Requirements page.

For information about how to declare Pre-Human Development, Human Development, or the Human Development minor, check out the Declaring HDP info page.

Admission Requirements for Human Development

  • All prospective HDP majors must complete the pre-requisites for either the Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS).
  • HDP 1 must be taken in residence and is only offered during the fall.
  • All courses must be taken for a letter grade; pass grades are not accepted.
  • All lower-division coursework must be completed with a grade of C- or better.
  • The GPA of the lower-division courses must equal or exceed 2.7.
  • Admission to the HDP major is completed before the students' final senior year.

Overview of both the Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS)

The Human Development major offers the option of completing a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science.  Academically, a Bachelor of Arts degree and a Bachelor of Science degree are equally valued. Both offer the students who earn them the opportunity to continue their education at the graduate degree level, and most academic or professional tracks will not require one degree over the other--it is far more important that you focus on the specific classes you need for your future academic preparation, and choose the program which has the right fit for you. Typically, Bachelor of Arts degrees in any discipline allow students to sharpen their communication and writing skills. By comparison, a Bachelor of Science degree typically fosters analytical skills and a detailed understanding of subject matter.  All of the courses listed within the Human Development BS--such as the methods elective--can be taken for BA elective credit, so the BS degree is not required to take advantage of advanced research opportunities.

HDP Bachelor of Arts (BA)

The HDP Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree provides broad-based preparation for many fields with solid grounding in both theory and methodology in the discipline of human development, while providing a great deal of curricular flexibility.
  • Lower-Division Requirements (BA):  28 units / 7 Courses
  • Upper-Division Requirements (BA):  52 units / 12 courses

HDP Bachelor of Science (BS)

The HDP Bachelor of Science (BS) degree is designed for those considering advanced graduate level study or other professional engagement in the health sciences, therapy, rehabilitation, or research. The BS requires additional coursework.
  • Lower-Division Requirements (BS): 32 units / 8 courses
  • Upper-Division Requirements (BS): 56 units / 13 Courses


Learn more about the differences between the BA and BS by clicking here!